I like Corm too!
Time to get a tad personal for a bit. My wife and I are having a baby. This is partially expected, but also kind of wasn’t. We’d just about given up on any possibility of it actually happening to us, but it seems that the stars aligned right about the time of our thirteenth wedding anniversary.
I remember very clearly as my wife and I were driving back from a trip to see my parents. We were talking about our lack of kids, as the subject usually came up anytime that we visited them. They very badly wanted for us to have children, and were very annoyed that we haven’t, even after thirteen years of marriage and even longer being together. This trip was no different than any other. My mom cornered me, and then my wife as well.
Yearly post? Sure, why not. Here’s a list of my mostly random thoughts about anime this year.
- Most loathed show of the year – Danganropa
- Worst anime that was supposed to save anime – Kyoukai no Kanata, very close runner up, Kill la Kill
- Most over-hyped supposedly edgy show that every fan loved except me – Shingeki no Kyojin
- Biggest disappointment – Anything that aired by KyoAni
- Best show about nothing – Teekyuu (It’s not even about tennis, although the national tournament arc had me in stiches)
- Best guilty pleasure – Tie between Noucome and Love Lab
- Best thighs – Aiura
- Best recommendation from a friend - Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
- Best bunny rabbit – Koto from Kyousougiga (Also wins best casting with Aya Hisakawa, just because I said so.)
- Best Kugimiya Rie role – Koto from Kyousougiga (Quite possibly my favorite performance of hers, with Nene from Potemayo coming in very close.)
- Best Soundtrack – Kyousougiga
- Anime of the year - Kyousougiga
See you next year!
Out of everything I watched this year, Hyouka was my favorite. There was other good stuff, and bad stuff, but in the end this is the one I remember and hold most fondly. Not that there’s much readership here to care.
It was also the one I got to enjoy in the best of company.
And had the best school festival plotline.
Listening for signals
Dusting off the blog for another year of Reverse Thieves Secret Santa; this being my third year doing so.
My Santa recommended three items, Fate/Zero (both seasons), the first season of Natsume Yuujinchou, and Hoshi o Ou Kodomo. As you may have noticed it’s been a while since I’ve posted here, because well life; that and participation in National Novel Writing Month, which I won by the way.
I chose to watch Hoshi o Ou Kodomo. I’d like to watch the other recommendations sometime, but with the holidays and travel, the shorter one won out. I have seen portions of the movie before, but hadn’t ever really given it a fair shot because of some bias, which I’ll get into in a little bit. I think properly sitting down in a dark room, by myself, curled up in a blanket was perfect for getting into a Makoto Shinkai movie.
That is not a hamburger
Here are some first impressions for the glorious new anime season. I think, for once, I’m actually semi-timely with this kind of thing.
Sengoku Collection – Is it me or is there a “Sengoku” show every season where cute girls are center stage instead of manly sweaty men? I would think it’s amusing to see all the different interpretations, yet they all aren’t very good. This still fits “not very good,” but it’s just dumb enough that I’ll turn my brain off to watch it. Honestly, I like the animation, and its healthy PLOT. Brains Base running this doesn’t hurt either.
Art by シェフの気まぐれサラダ
I’m usually not one for these things, but I’m bored and I guess lots of people are doing this now. Not that I’d know since I just found out about it, because I’m about as close to living under a rock as you can get. So here’s fifty answers to some questions you might care about:
1. Who is your favourite male anime character?
Satou You from Ben-to. Unapologetically male and the best male lead in modern anime. Kicks ass, and eats dinner. Kenshi from Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is also an excellent male lead.
2. Who is your favourite female anime character?
What, you were expecting something else? Mind out of the gutter people, I just watched some anime, figured I’d tell you what you probably already know about some shows I watched.
The original show was not really good, but it’s four episode format at least kept the show feeling fresh, and boring arcs ended sooner than later. So this is like two episode arcs showing more…more doesn’t mean that I really care that much.
Rihoko finally got her boyfriend, which seemed to make the internet happy.
Honestly, this second season is quite boring, and I guess I don’t care for it that much, but the “I must finish everything” person in me must watch.